John Leonard Harris' Resume
John Leonard Harris
5231 Valley Forge Road, Lincoln, NE 68521
Dedicated professional with 25 years of experience working with higher education, business, community agencies, religious, for-profit and nonprofit organizations. Proven ability to develop, organize and administer community-based career and job search programs. Skilled facilitator with ability to develop high level instructional training materials. Exceptional team player and independent worker who is able to mobilize people to action.
• Team Building • Public Speaking • Community Relations
• Program Development • Program Coordination • Leadership
• Classroom Instruction • Report Writing • Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint)
Master of Arts, Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (4.0 GPA)
32.0 hours of graduate study, Social Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Bachelor of Arts, Speech/Radio-TV-Film Production, University of Missouri-Columbia
Interim Senior Pastor (Dec. 2017- Sept. 2019)
First Baptist Church (Lincoln, Nebraska)
• Responsible for the oversight for all ministry and programs of the church.
• Performed preaching ministry and lead Bible studies.
• Served as chief visionary of ministry advancement.
• Worked with leadership board and members to execute ministry vision.
• Provided spiritual support and pastoral care for all church members as needed.
• Offered counseling and personal care for church members and referrals.
• Coordinated and performed joint services and other special events.
Subject Matter Expert for Diversity and Inclusion (Independent Contractor) (April 2014 – Present)
Glazer's Distributors (Dallas, Texas)
• Provide expert and excellent facilitation of in-house diversity education program for senior and managerial leaders across three states.
• Offer professional consultation for program direction and participant comprehension.
Corporate Trainer/Facilitator (Independent Contractor) (Feb. 2014 - Present)
Continuum Employee Assistance (Lincoln, Nebraska)
• Workshop facilitator providing professional staff development programs for corporate, nonprofit and social service clients.
• Develops educational programs geared toward achieving the company's mission, vision and values.
• Conducts interactive workshop for managers and front-line employees.
• Skilled in using PowerPoint or lecture/discussion format. Subject matter expertise in culture and diversity, job search strategies, leadership, motivation and organizational effectiveness
Career Transition Trainer (Independent Contractor) (Dec. 2012 – March 2016)
Insignia Federal Group (Fairfax, Virginia)
• Conducted monthly employment workshops retiring and separating service members (30-40 per session) and their spouses who are transitioning from the United States armed forces to enter the federal or civilian job market.
• Served as a subject matter expert covering topics including: - Self appraisal and skill identification - Career decision making - Identifying job goals - Job search techniques - Translating military to civilian language - Marketing oneself and examining transferable skills - Developing support system and professional network - Use of technology in job search process - Resume and cover letter preparation - Interviewing tips, skills and techniques - Dressing for success - Job offer and salary negotiations.
Consultant/Managerial Coach (Independent Contractor) (Oct. 2010 - April 2013)
TAG (The Armstrong Group) Consulting (McLean, Virginia)
• Provided professional consulting services and executive coaching for corporate clients across the United States utilizing a strengths-based management approach.
• Onsite program facilitation and problem-solving.
• Developed program curriculum and craft presentation using best practices for adult learning.
• Designed promotional materials and mailers for company programs and products using Microsoft Office Suite word processors and publishing products.
• Identified best assessment tools to determine client needs.
• Provided monthly coaching for seven (7) managers.
Director of Church and Community Relations (Oct. 2008 – Jan. 2010)
People's City Mission (Lincoln, Nebraska)
• Served as a member of the administrative leadership and marketing teams.
• Coordinated and made contacts with as many as fifty (50) local religious and community leaders in an order to build strong relationships.
• Assisted in creating differing marketing strategies for reaching faith organizations.
• Arranged personal meetings with religious leaders and community representatives.
• Developed and directed the objectives of the organization’s advisory board.
Service-Learning Coordinator (Aug. 2008 – Sept. 2009)
Nebraska Wesleyan University (Lincoln, Nebraska)
• Provided leadership in the development, marketing and implementation of the Service-Learning Program campus and community-wide.
• Recruited faculty and provided in-class information to student on the benefits of service-learning, as well as the availability of experiential learning opportunities.
• Regularly interacted with diverse groups inside and outside of the institution in order to develop ongoing partnerships with businesses, non-profit organizations and community agencies.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Men’s Youth Coordinator, City Impact, Inc., Lincoln, Nebraska, 1999-2002
- Special Assistant to the Vice Chancellor, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 1991-1999
- President, Encouragement Unlimited, Inc., Lincoln, Nebraska, 2002 - Present
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS, AFFILIATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Author, “Practical Wisdom: Learning Life’s Lessons from the Simple but Profound Things We Hear Every Day.” Encouragement Publishing/Lulu.com, 2018.
- "Article of the Year," Journal of Intergroup Relations, National Association of Human Rights Workers.
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “WALL OF HONOR”
- Dr. Melvin Jones Mentoring Award
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.